The library is the ‘heart' of any academic institution and plays an important role in all academic activities and more so in law institutions. Keeping in view the aims and objectives of the Law School, the library has been planned and is being developed by a team of qualified professional library staff and guided by the Library Council. It has a collection of over 40,000 volumes covering a wide range of general and special subjects consisting of text books, reference books, back volumes of journals and reports etc., apart from legal periodicals.
The library has adopted an open access system so as to facilitate readers to have easy access to the library resources. The library has also established links with other important libraries in and around Bangalore in order to provide inter-library access for the benefit of students and teachers of NLSIU. To assist the students and research scholars in locating literature as well as information in their areas of research, general reference, current awareness and computerized catalogue have been introduced. An orientation programme for new students is also organized to help them acquaint themselves with the library system and services for maximum utilization of the available resources.
The library has introduced computerized facilities for both housekeeping as well as information retrieval.
Since we have now a broad band width leased line connection to the internet it is possible to have easy access to information directly from all available computerized data bases all over the world, not only in the field of law but also in other disciplines. Keeping in mind the vision to create an Elaw School, the University subscribes to many international online databases.
The library has been shifted to the new building and the same was inaugurated by Justice R C Lahoti, the Then Chief Justice of India on 27th August 2005. This ambitious dream of the law school from the inceptionhas come true. The building have all the modern state-of-the-art gadgets with wi-fi internet connection and highly modernized Audio-Visual equipments with teleconferencing facility. Special arrangements have also been made for the physically handicapped persons to access the library. This is a multi (three) stored Building with ample space of 30,000 sq ft. built-up area for storage of books and reading purposes.
- To serve the academic community for the furtherance of the academic activities of NLSIU.
- To provide an effective information service
- To make available modern equipments for effective teaching, learning, research, acquisition of additional Knowledge etc.,
- To computerize legal information, storage, retrieval and dissemination and ;
- To make available information from various other libraries in and around Bangalore, through a planned resource sharing programme.
PHYSICAL LAYOUT :
The library has been spread into three floors. A Ground Floor, First Floor and Second Floor
The Ground Floor Contains :
- All Back volumes of Journals and Reporters are housed here.
- The current Journals / Reports which are being subscribed in the library are displayed.
- A big reading hall
- Two computers are kept here for the purpose of using OPAC and CD-Rom databases.
- Photocopying facility
- There are six rooms which are being used exclusively for the purpose of moot activities
The First Floor Has :
- An entrance to the library
- Property counter
- 6 computers for OPAC / Cd-Rom database search
- Books Issue / Return Coiunter
- All Centers collection like:
- Subrata Roy Choudhury Collection
- Guna Pai Vasanth Pai Foundation
- Shri Vaidyanathan's collection
- Wadhwa and Co. Collection
The above mentioned centers'collections are all received as gratis to our library by the respective Trusts / Foundations.
Along with this collection some of the reference materials are also housed here for easy access to the users.
The Second Floor has:
- Text books and other reference books are housed here.
- Two computers are placed here for the purpose of using OPAC and CD-Rom databases.
- A Big Reading Hall
- A Photocopier
Services Offered :
- Lending of Books
- Articles Index Service
- News Paper Clipping Service
- Inter-Library Loan
- CD-Rom databases search
- Internet Search Etc.,
|Back Volumes of Journals & Subscription
· Monday through Saturday
* 8.30. A.M. to 12.00 Midnight
* Sundays - 10.00 A M to 4.00 P M
The library is closed on National Holidays.
The contact address is :
National Law School of India University
P.B.No. 7201., Nagarbhavi,
Bangalore - 560 242
Tel : 22729259
Fax : 91-080-32160534
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org