India is one of the fastest growing economies of the world, continuously faced with challenges of justice, inequity, exclusion and progress. The study of Public Policy informs the state as to how it could respond to the new dynamic challenges that emerge in the society. As every legislation require clear policy formulation, there is demand for trained professionals who will be equipped to design, implement and evaluate policies and programmes. We derive inspiration from our transformative Constitution, while addressing the challenges of diverse national needs.
We train thinkers and leaders in the domain of public policy capable of critical engagement with a range of sectors. We strongly encourage inter-disciplinarity in the public policy research, and believe that path-breaking knowledge innovations are possible when reflexive engagement with complexity of wicked problems are undertaken.
National Law School of India University, Bangalore offers an integrated Ph.D. programme in Public Policy with a provision for M.Phil. as a terminal degree for those who successfully complete that programme and are either not desirous of pursuing the Ph.D. programme or who are found not suitable for the same. The integrated Ph.D. programme is envisioned as a residential programme with possibilities of financial support through teaching assistant and research assistant jobs from second year of the programme.
Scholarship support (from second year) is available for those candidates who undertake dissertation work in following areas: Urban Studies, Land Policies, Regulatory Governance, Local Self-Governance, Agrarian Transformation, Environmental Studies, Social Policy and Accountability question
- Post-Graduates from any discipline
- All India Competitive Examination and Interviews
- Policy Aptitude Test (PAT)
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit an online application. After the Policy Aptitude Test, shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.
We strongly encourage applicants to apply for our programmes via our online system. However, if it is not possible to do so, you may submit a paper application.
Integrated Ph.D. of Public Policy,
National Law School of India University, Nagarbhavi Bengaluru 560 072.
Tel. +91 80 2321 3531
Mob. +91 9986098655
In the first year of the Integrated Ph.D. Programme, there are course works and the fee payable for the first year is given below. From second year onwards candidates successfully progressing to doctoral programme will receive teaching assistantship and research assistantships for financial support.
Fee structure (I year)
Total fee (including refundable deposits)
- General Category Rs.2,77,000.00/- p.a.
- SC/ST Category Rs.2,73,875/-/- p.a.
- Tuition fee Rs.1,98,375/- p.a.
- Admission fee Rs.7,500/- (one time)
- Hostel residential Charges Rs. 25,750/-
- Mess Charges Rs. 31,625/-
- Refundable deposits (one time)
- For General Category Rs. 13,750/-
- For SC/ST/PWD Category Rs. 10,625/-
- If a candidate is withdrawing admission on any ground, in any of the courses of the University, only the refundable deposits will be returned. Such candidates will not be eligible to claim refund of any other fee.
- Foreign National students are required to pay the fee including bank charges i.e bank charges if any is to be borne by them.
- The fees/charges are provisional and subject to confirmation & revision as per the decision of the University authorities.