B.A., LL.B. (Hons.)
Law of Torts- II
B.A.LL.B. (Hons.), National Law University, Odisha, India – 2014
LL.M., Harvard Law School – 2019
Preeti graduated from National Law University, Odisha in 2014 where she was the recipient of the Gold Medal for securing the first rank in class. She has completed her LL.M. from Harvard Law School in 2019 on the Fulbright Scholarship.
Previously, she has worked at Project 39A, National Law University Delhi, where she undertook empirical research on capital sentencing in India. Her research interests include the disprate impact of the criminal justice system on the marginalised, with a focus on death penalty, sentencing law, and sexual offences. Preeti has also worked as a Summer Academic Fellow at Harvard Law School, where her research focused on unintended consequences of rape law amendment in India. At NLSIU, she hopes to use empirical research to influence pedagogy. Her interests include travelling, reading post-colonial, historical fiction, and exploring different cuisines.
Awards & Honours
• Summer Academic Fellow, Harvard Law School, 2019.
• Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Scholarship to pursue LL.M. at Harvard Law School, 2018-2019.
• Gold Medal for securing 1st Rank in BA.LL.B(Hons.) at National Law University, Odisha, India, 2014.
- Rape Adjudication in India in the Aftermath of Criminal Law Amendment Act, 2013: Findings from
Trial Courts of Delhi, 4(2) INDIAN LAW REVIEW 244-266 (2020).
- Feminism and its Discontents: Punishing Sexual Violence in India, 28(1) INDIAN JOURNAL OF GENDER
- The Enduring Gaps and Errors in Capital Sentencing in India (with Dr. Anup Surendranath et.al.) 32(1) NATIONAL LAW SCHOOL OF INDIA REVIEW (2020).
- Human Sacrifice, Sentencing and the Death Penalty: Failings of the Supreme Court of India (with Dr. Anup Surendranath et.al.) authored) 55(8) ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL WEEKLY (2020).
- Penological Justifications as Sentencing Factors in Death Penalty Sentencing (with Dr. Anup Surendranath), 7(1), JOURNAL OF NATIONAL LAW UNIVERSITY DELHI (2020).
- Death Penalty Sentencing in Trial Courts: Delhi, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra (2000-2015), Project
39A, National Law University, Delhi [May 2020].
- Death Penalty Statistics in India, 2019, Project 39A, National Law University, Delhi [January 2020].
Opinion Editorials & Columns:
- Punitive responses to sexual offences need rethink [The Indian Express, January 2021]
- Going beyond Me-too [The Hindu, 30 Sept. 2020]
- Death Penalty in India: A futile exercise [The Deccan Herald, 13 Feb. 2020]
- Upholding the Fairness of Sentencing [The Hindu, 8 Feb. 2020]
- The many gaps in NCRB data [The Hindu, 29 Oct. 2019]