Call for Applications | Research Assistant | Project on Public Health and the Indian Constitution
December 15, 2022
NLSIU invites applications for a role of Research Assistant in its project on ‘Public Health and the Indian Constitution’. This is a short-term contractual research assignment (4 months), based out of Bangalore.
The position is conceived under an MOU entered between National Law School of India University, Bangalore and The Thakur Family Foundation Inc.
About the Project
The project aims to create a compendium of edited cases and materials on Public Health and the Indian Constitution. It entails a survey of leading cases from Supreme Court of India and State High Courts on various public health themes including access to medicines, availability and affordability of healthcare services, discrimination in access to healthcare facilities, compulsory vaccinations, digitization and privacy concerns, nutrition support, control of harmful substances and prohibition of their advertisements of harmful substances, regulation of drugs and medical devices, regulation of professions, compulsory bonds, impact of emerging technologies, rare diseases and the extent of state responsibility.
The broader domain of analysis is the constitutional framework within which the duties, powers and limitations of the Government on public health are debated and scrutinised by the Courts.
The project entails desk research, literature review and documentation of relevant materials. A workshop is also conceived as a part of the project to receive critical feedback on the methods, research output and structure of the compendium.
The compendium will be published in an open access format with a reputed publisher.
Role – Research Assistant
- Assist the Project Coordinator and other team members in conducting literature reviews, curating relevant cases and materials, researching on contemporary themes and writing short notes/comments/pieces on issues looking at the intersection of health and law
- Assist in preparing and conducting the Workshop on Law and Health
This is a full-time role, based out of the NLSIU campus in Bangalore and will report to the Project Coordinator.
Who should apply
Candidates with a Law Degree from a recognised University are eligible to apply.
In addition, the candidate must have:
- Prior research and writing experience
- Ability to meticulously use different legal research databases
- Interest in Health Law and/or Constitutional Law
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Ability to work in a team, contributing to both team and individual goals
How to apply?
Please fill out the form with your:
- Updated CV
- A short statement of purpose (not more than 500 words)
- A writing sample (published or unpublished) on theme relating to Law and Health
The last date for submission of applications has been extended to 9th January, 2023.