Call for Applications | Research Associate | Centre for Women and the Law
August 9, 2023
NLSIU invites applications for one (01) position of Research Associate for the ‘Centre of Excellence Project’. This is a contractual assignment of twelve (12) months, based out of Bangalore. The position is under the Centre for Women and the Law (CWL), National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore.
This position is conceived under the MOU between NLSIU, Bangalore and NIMHANS, Bangalore with support from the Department of Women and Child Development (DWCD), Government of Karnataka (GoK).
About the Project
Violence against Women has been a concern for policy makers as well as implementing agencies. While there are laws, the multitude of legal provisions and mechanisms as well as fast changing directives from courts and government make it difficult for those who are the first point of contact for Women and those responsible for implementing the legislation at the ground level. Although general trainings and orientations are conducted, there needs to be targeted training specifically designed for each party and context setting, in order to see more effective results on the ground. In a nutshell, there needs to be research backed training.
The project requires working in close collaboration with NIMHANS, Bangalore and the DWCD, GoK. The project aims to conduct research and drive training initiatives, that would translate into a policy which would in turn help drive innovative programs for Women in Karnataka. The vision of these initiatives is to improve several development indicators related to gender.
Objectives of the project
The primary objectives of the project include having to:
- Improve service delivery in cases of Women’s Rights, especially Violence against Women
- Study detailed roles, challenges faced and ground realities of each identified functionary
- Prepare targeted training materials which will address specifically these roles, challenges and realities
- Equip service providers with necessary legal and allied tools and techniques
- Conduct a study to identify progress made, highlight positive case studies and gaps to be addressed in subsequent phases/years
- Draft a Policy
Research Associate (01 position)
- Assist the Centre Coordinator and other team members in conducting literature reviews, curating relevant cases and materials, researching on contemporary themes and writing blog notes, academic papers and research reports add modules and training materials
- Conducting field and desk research on identified issues
- Preparing for, organising and conducting training programmes, workshops and conferences
- Preparing progress reports and or managing other reporting needs
- Handling administrative responsibilities under the project
- Drafting of legal opinions, review of draft national/state policies
- Framing proposals for funding, research and writing, training and other assignments
- Other Centre related activities and tasks
This is a full-time position, based out of the NLSIU campus (Nagarbhavi) in Bangalore, involving field and desk research as well as service delivery. This position will report to the Centre Coordinator.
Who should apply
Candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognised University
Domain expertise/background in the areas of Human Rights, Women’s Rights, Family Law or Criminal Law
How to apply
Using Google Form on NLSIU site, with:
- Your updated CV/resume (not more than 03 pages)
- A short statement of purpose (not more than 500 words)
- One writing sample (not more than 1000 words)
- Details of two (02) referees with contact details
The application deadline has been extended to August 31, 2023 (5 pm).