Call for Applications | One-Day Mediation Advocacy Workshop for Lawyers & Legal Academics
Thursday, October 19, 2023
The National Law School of India University (NLSIU) in collaboration with CAMP Arbitration & Mediation Practice Private Limited and Foundation for Sustainable Rule of Law Initiatives (FSRI) is organizing a one day residential workshop on mediation advocacy for lawyers and legal academics on Oct 19, 2023 from 10:00 am – 6 pm at NLSIU, Bengaluru. Interested candidates may apply for this workshop by filling out the form below.
Serving as an effective representative of a client in mediation presents lawyers with distinct challenges and opportunities that differ from advocacy in court or arbitration. While advocacy in court or arbitration involves presenting the strongest possible case to a neutral decision maker, advocacy in mediation focuses on helping the client to discover what is truly in the client’s best interest and guiding them through a negotiation process to further those interests, and to reach a satisfactory, voluntary resolution. Lawyers must become expert negotiators and skillful diplomats to meet the challenge of the mediation process. This mode of practice creates great opportunities to assist clients in achieving their goals and can lead to true client satisfaction.
This workshop is designed to provide an overview of the skills needed to be an effective representative of a client in mediation. The workshop covers:
● How mediation differs from other methods of dispute resolution
● The basic structure of the mediation process
● The fundamentals of successfully negotiating in a mediated environment
● How to work effectively with a client to prepare for mediation
● Being persuasive in a mediated environment to achieve a “win/win”
● Styles of mediation and choosing a mediator
● Confidentiality, finality, and other core legal issues of concern to lawyers representing clients in mediation
Eligibility: Lawyers & Legal Academics
Fees: Rs. 8,500/- +18% GST
● Dana Curtis, Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School.
● Laila Ollapally, CAMP Arbitration and Mediation Practice Private Limited.
● Victor Schachter, The Foundation for Sustainable Rule of Law Initiatives.
● Howard Herman, JAMS Foundation Mediator
● Claudia Bernard, Mediator, UC Law San Francisco (Formerly called University of California Hastings College of the Law )
● Dr. Harisankar KS, Associate Professor of Law, National Law School of India University; Chair Professor (In-Charge), DC Singhania Chair on Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
A certificate of participation will be provided on successful completion of the workshop.
To submit the application form, click here.
Application deadline has been extended to 11:59 pm, Sunday, 15 October.