Call for Applications | Practicing Advocate| Centre for Child and the Law
June 19, 2023
NLSIU invites applications for the position of Practicing Advocate on a contractual basis (yearly), commencing from July, 2023. It is a contractual assignment based out of Bangalore.
The position is under the ‘Child Protection Programme’ in the Centre for Child and the Law (CCL), National Law School of India University, Bangalore.
The Centre for Child and the Law (CCL) was established as a specialized multi-disciplinary research centre of NLSIU on April 1, 1996. The Centre integrates research, direct field action, and teaching on child rights law. We use law and socio-legal strategies as tools for transformative social change to enable children to live with dignity. Our aim is to ensure social justice, human rights and quality of life for all children in India, with special focus on equitable quality education, care, protection and justice for marginalized and excluded children.
Practicing Advocate (multiple vacancies)
- Represent children before the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) and provide necessary quality legal support for them and their families
- Provide support to cases in other districts of Karnataka
- Contribute to research carried out by the Centre by attending meetings and discussions
- Assist the team in other activities of the Centre
The position is based in Bangalore, requiring frequent visits to the Courts, Police Stations, Government Boys’ Observation Home (Madivala) and the NLSIU campus (Nagarbhavi). The position will report to the Centre Coordinator.
Who should apply
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law
- Should be enrolled in the Bar Council of India (BCI) and be eligible to represent in a court of law
- Demonstrated proficiency in speaking, reading and writing Kannada and English fluently
- At least four (04) years of experience practicing before any court of law
- Background in child rights and/or criminal law is preferred
- In addition, the candidate must have:
– Ability to work in a team, contributing to both team and individual goals
– Demonstrated proficiency in the use of G-Suite, MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
– Good communication, organising and time management skills
How to apply
Using Google Form on NLSIU site, with:
- Updated CV/Resume (not more than 3 pages)
- A short Statement of Purpose (not more than 500 words)
- Details of two (02) References with contact details
For more details, please read the official notification here.
To apply, click here
This is an immediate requirement and will be filled on a rolling basis as soon as a suitable candidate is available. The first review of applications will take place on 22 June 2023. You are encouraged to apply early.