Call for Applications | Study on Preventive Detention in Karnataka
July 13, 2021
About the Study
Karnataka provides a wide range of activities for which a person may be preventively detained. Adversely affecting “public order” too is widely defined giving ample discretion to the police to preventively detaining individuals. Karnataka has also adopted the Maharashtra Control of Organized Crime Act, which also provides for preventive detention. Considering the wide ambit of offences for which individuals may be preventively detained, the reasons for which individuals are being preventively detained, as well as the manner in which due process guarantees are being implemented is a matter that needs study. This research project is an endeavour in that direction. It is also an effort to review existing Karnataka-specific literature and case-law to provide a holistic perspective in relation to preventive detention laws in the state.
All roles are full-time based out of the NLSIU campus in Bangalore. Due to COVID related restrictions, engagement may begin on a remote basis.
- Develop and implement the research agenda for the initiative under the supervision of the project lead.
- Conduct original, empirical research on identified issues
- Leverage new and existing advisory networks and partnerships across academic institutions, research organisations and government.
- Participate in, and organise platforms for discussion of issues related to the research.
Who should apply
- A degree in law
- 2+ years of post-qualification academic or professional experience, ideally on issues of criminal justice in India.
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills.
- Candidates with experience in designing and executing research projects, and handling quantitative data sets, will be preferred.
How to apply
Write to with the subject heading “Application for Study on Preventive Detention” with –
- Your CV
- A published writing sample or extract, ideally on an issue of criminal justice.
- A short statement of purpose (not more than 500 words)
Deadline for applications is 23rd July, 2021.