B.A, LL.B. (Hons)
B.A. LL.B. (Hons.)
History I & History II
- Violence Against Women;
- Understanding Sexual Violence Against Women and State responses to it through feminist lenses;
- History of Women’s Property Rights;
- Lesser Known Aspects of the Struggle for Independence
- Feminist Jurisprudence
- History of Rights
- Women’s Human Rights
- Women, Law and Development
- Feminist Jurisprudence
M.A. (History) 1984, Bangalore University
Ph.D. (1995) Mangalore University; LL.B. (1997) Bangalore University
Certificate Course in Spanish (2010-11) Bangalore University
Certificate in Counselling Skills (2014-15) Montfort College, Bangalore University
She has been on the faculty of National Law School of India University since 1991.
- “Gender, Violence and the Law in Indian Society” in Gender Justice in the Church and Society, ed. Shaji George Kochuthara, CMI, Bangalore: Dharmaram Publications, 2016.
- “Searching for the Elusive Glass Ceiling in Higher Education” in Unveiling Women’s Leadership: Identity and meaning of leadership in India (ed.) Payal Kumar, 2015.
- “Distributive Justice – Poverty and Economic Development” in Penn State International Law Review, Symposium issue: IALS Conference Sep. 11-12, 2009 Vol. 28 Winter 2010, No. 3
- “Philosophising vis-à-vis Communalism and Human Rights Violations” in Saju Chackalackal ed. Indigenous Philosophising: Indian Horizons, Bangalore, Dharmaram Publications, 2010
- “Violence Against Women within the Family: A Human Rights Violation” in Family Violence, (ed.) Swati Shirwadkar, Rawat 2009
- “Feminism and International Law in India” in India and International Law Vol. 2 (ed.) Bimal Patel, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2008
- “Gender Justice Today”, in Journal of Dharma, April-June 2004, Vol. XXIX, No.2, Centre for the Study of World Religions, Dharmaram Vidhya Kshetram, Dharmaram College, Bangalore.
- Chapters 4 and 7 in History for Law Students, Vol. II, Joint editor with Prof. H. V. Sreenivasa Murthy, Eastern Book Company, 2004
- Co-authored with Devaki Jain, Enabling Population Stabilisation through Women’s Leadership in Local Self-Government: A proposal for the department’s new scheme, NIHFW, Institute of Social Sciences, New Delhi, 2003.
- “Inevitability of Rewriting Indian History from a Feminist Perspective” in Journal of Dharma, April-June 2003, Vol. XXVIII No.2 Centre for the Study of World Religions, Dharmaram VIdhya Kshetram, Dharmaram College, Bangalore
- “My Journey into Women’s Studies” in Narratives from the Women’s Studies Family, (eds) Pam Rajput & Devaki Jain, Sage Publishers, New Delhi, 2003
- Sections on Socialism, Industrial Revolution and Nationalism for the Encyclopaedia on World History, in Kannada published by Prasaranga, Kannada Vishwavidyalaya, Hampi, 2001
- “Teaching of the Social Sciences in the National Law School of India University”, Social Advocate, NLSIU, 2000
Membership of various professional bodies and committees
- Founder Member of the Gender and Law Association, 2003.
- Founder Member and member of the Governing Board of the International Association of Law Schools, 2005-2009; 2010-2013.
- Member, High Level Committee on Status of Women, Government of India, 2012-13
- Life Member of the Indian History Congress
- Life Member of the Indian Association of Women’s Studies
- Presented a paper on the “Legal framework for safeguarding women’s rights in the context of violence against women in India” at the Euro-Indian colloquium held on 15-16 December 2016 at Ecole de Droit de la Sorbonne, Universite de Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne organized by the Institut De Recherche Juridique De La Sorbonne.
- Participated in an International workshop on South Asian Legal History hosted by NALSAR, on December 7-8, 2016 in partnership with the Max Planck Institute for European Legal History, Frankfurt.
- Presented a paper “Feminine Genius or Women’s Genius” at the National Conference on Feminine Genius: Women’s Leadership for a Just and Compassionate Society organised by (Jointly Organized by Journal of Dharma, Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram, Bangalore, India & Globetics.net India) from 29-31 July 2016 at Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram, Bangalore, India.
- Chaired a Panel presentation and participated in the 13th Asian Law Institute Conference on Asian Perspectives on Legal Globalisation at Peking University Law School, China on 19th and 20th May, 2016.
- Participated in the Regional Consultation on establishing a regional strategy for child rights education from the 26-28 June 2014 organised by the SAIEVAC Regional Secretariat in Thimphu, Bhutan.
Research and Other Activities
Violence Against women, particularly sexual violence against women and domestic violence; status of women in precolonial India, socio-economic changes between 600 and 1200 A.D.
- Member, Academic Council, Gujarat National Law University 2009 till present.
- Member, Advisory Board of the Indian Law Review
- Member, Internal Ethics Committee, St. Martha’s Hospital, Bangalore since 2013.
- Member, Internal Research Committee, Bangalore Baptist Hospital, since 2019
- Member, Internal Committee,
- Central Power Research Institute, Bangalore since 2015
- National Institute of Public Policy and Child Development since 2018
- Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platform, UAS, Bangalore.
- Member, Executive Committee of the Indian Association of Women’s Studies from 2017-2020 & Coordinator, Southern Region Conference.
- President, Equitable Tourism Options (EQUATIONS), Bangalore since 2019