5-Year B.A., LL.B. (Hons.)
B.A. LL.B. (Hons.)
History I & History II
- Violence Against Women;
- Understanding Sexual Violence Against Women and State responses to it through feminist lenses;
- History of Women’s Property Rights;
- Lesser Known Aspects of the Struggle for Independence
- Feminist Jurisprudence
- History of Rights
- Women’s Human Rights
- Women, Law and Development
- Feminist Jurisprudence
M.A. (History) 1984, Bangalore University
Ph.D. (1995) Mangalore University; LL.B. (1997) Bangalore University
Certificate Course in Spanish (2010-11) Bangalore University
Certificate in Counselling Skills (2014-15) Montfort College, Bangalore University
- “Gender, Violence and the Law in Indian Society” in Gender Justice in the Church and Society, ed. Shaji George Kochuthara, CMI, Bangalore: Dharmaram Publications, 2016.
- “Searching for the Elusive Glass Ceiling in Higher Education” in Unveiling Women’s Leadership: Identity and meaning of leadership in India (ed.) Payal Kumar, 2015.
- “Distributive Justice – Poverty and Economic Development” in Penn State International Law Review, Symposium issue: IALS Conference Sep. 11-12, 2009 Vol. 28 Winter 2010, No. 3
- “Philosophising vis-à-vis Communalism and Human Rights Violations” in Saju Chackalackal ed. Indigenous Philosophising: Indian Horizons, Bangalore, Dharmaram Publications, 2010
- “Violence Against Women within the Family: A Human Rights Violation” in Family Violence, (ed.) Swati Shirwadkar, Rawat 2009
- “Feminism and International Law in India” in India and International Law Vol. 2 (ed.) Bimal Patel, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2008
- “Gender Justice Today”, in Journal of Dharma, April-June 2004, Vol. XXIX, No.2, Centre for the Study of World Religions, Dharmaram Vidhya Kshetram, Dharmaram College, Bangalore.
- Chapters 4 and 7 in History for Law Students, Vol. II, Joint editor with Prof. H. V. Sreenivasa Murthy, Eastern Book Company, 2004
- Co-authored with Devaki Jain, Enabling Population Stabilisation through Women’s Leadership in Local Self-Government: A proposal for the department’s new scheme, NIHFW, Institute of Social Sciences, New Delhi, 2003.
- “Inevitability of Rewriting Indian History from a Feminist Perspective” in Journal of Dharma, April-June 2003, Vol. XXVIII No.2 Centre for the Study of World Religions, Dharmaram VIdhya Kshetram, Dharmaram College, Bangalore
- “My Journey into Women’s Studies” in Narratives from the Women’s Studies Family, (eds) Pam Rajput & Devaki Jain, Sage Publishers, New Delhi, 2003
- Sections on Socialism, Industrial Revolution and Nationalism for the Encyclopaedia on World History, in Kannada published by Prasaranga, Kannada Vishwavidyalaya, Hampi, 2001
- “Teaching of the Social Sciences in the National Law School of India University”, Social Advocate, NLSIU, 2000
Research and Other Activities
She has worked on issues related to violence against women, particularly sexual violence against women and domestic violence; status of women in precolonial India, socio-economic changes between 600 and 1200 A.D. She is a member of several boards and committees as listed below.
- Founder Member of the Gender and Law Association, 2003.
- Founder Member and member of the Governing Board of the International Association of Law Schools, 2005-2009; 2010-2013.
- Member, High Level Committee on Status of Women, Government of India, 2012-13
- Life Member of the Indian History Congress
- Life Member of the Indian Association of Women’s Studies
- Member, Academic Council, Gujarat National Law University 2009 till present.
- Member, Advisory Board of the Indian Law Review
- Member, Internal Ethics Committee, St. Martha’s Hospital, Bangalore since 2013.
- Member, Internal Research Committee, Bangalore Baptist Hospital, since 2019
- Member, Internal Committee,
-Central Power Research Institute, Bangalore since 2015
-National Institute of Public Policy and Child Development since 2018
-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platform, UAS, Bangalore.
- Member, Executive Committee of the Indian Association of Women’s Studies from 2017-2020 & Coordinator, Southern Region Conference.
- President, Equitable Tourism Options (EQUATIONS), Bangalore since 2019
- Presented a paper on the “Legal framework for safeguarding women’s rights in the context of violence against women in India” at the Euro-Indian colloquium held on 15-16 December 2016 at Ecole de Droit de la Sorbonne, Universite de Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne organized by the Institut De Recherche Juridique De La Sorbonne.
- Participated in an International workshop on South Asian Legal History hosted by NALSAR, on December 7-8, 2016 in partnership with the Max Planck Institute for European Legal History, Frankfurt.
- Presented a paper “Feminine Genius or Women’s Genius” at the National Conference on Feminine Genius: Women’s Leadership for a Just and Compassionate Society organised by (Jointly Organized by Journal of Dharma, Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram, Bangalore, India & Globetics.net India) from 29-31 July 2016 at Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram, Bangalore, India.
- Chaired a Panel presentation and participated in the 13th Asian Law Institute Conference on Asian Perspectives on Legal Globalisation at Peking University Law School, China on 19th and 20th May, 2016.
- Participated in the Regional Consultation on establishing a regional strategy for child rights education from the 26-28 June 2014 organised by the SAIEVAC Regional Secretariat in Thimphu, Bhutan.