5-Year B.A., LL.B. (Hons.)
Doctor of Philosophy in Law, University of Mysore
Master of Laws, University of Mysore
Bachelor of Science, University of Mysore
Prof M K Ramesh has been a Professor at the National Law School of India University since June 1992 and also served as the University Vice Chancellor between Aug 1, 2019 and Sep 25, 2019. He has teaching experience of over 40 years, and has worked for over two years as a Commercial Tax Officer in the Govt. of Karnataka. His areas of specialization include International Law, Human Rights Law, Environmental Law and Natural Resources Management Law (Land, Water, Forests, Wildlife, Biodiversity and Agriculture).
He founded three Centres of Excellence at NLSIU: Centre for Environmental Law Education Research and Advocacy (CEERA) (1997); Commons Cell (2009) and Environmental Law Clinic (2012). He was a Senior Fulbright Fellow in the US (2005-6) and an Environmental Law Fellow, 2006, Environmental Law Institute, Washington D.C. He is the Founder Editor of Indian Journal of Environmental Law(IJEL) and has published about 60 research articles and 5 books.
- Adjunct Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur(-2010-2014);
- Visiting Professor, KTH, Stockholm (2009-2014);
- Visiting Professor, Law School, Zurich (2010-11);
- Visiting Professor, Dalhousie Law School, Canada (1998);
- Visiting Professor, Law School, Warwick, UK(1996);
- Associated with teaching the Course on Environmental Justice at Pace Law School, White Plains, N.Y- U.S (-2005-6)
- Chair Professor , Urban Poor and the Law, instituted by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation, Govt. of India (2011-2016) ;
- Chairman, Research and Policy Advisory Committee, MoEFCC(-2014-2016); Member, Research and Policy Advisory Committee, MoEFCC (2010-2016)
- Law Expert Member, National Biodiversity Authority(2013-2016);
- Member, Steering Committee for XII Five Year Plan, on Environment, Forests, Wildlife and Climate Change, Planning Commission.
- Member , Expert Group , reviewing the Draft Guidelines for the Development of National Legislation on Liability, Response Action and Compensation for Damage caused by Activities Dangerous to Environment, prepared for the consideration of the Governing Council of the United Nations Environment Programme. at Geneva (Sep 2009).
- Institutional Representative Member for India, in the International Environmental Law Academy, Ottawa, Canada
- Member, Human Ethics Committee, Indian Institute of Science (IISc); Member, Stem-cell Research Ethics Committee, IISc
- Expert Law Advisor, Legislative House Committee on Lake Encroachments, Govt. of Karnataka (2016-17)
- Law Expert Member, Task Group on Evolving Comprehensive Water Policy for Karnataka(2018)
- Member, Law Expert Committee advising M.P. State Biodiversity Board (Since 2018)
- Member, Expert Committee for Reforming Biodiversity Law, NBA (Since 2019)
- Environmental Law Fellow, 2006, Environmental Law Institute, Washington D.C
- On the Board of Directors, Centre for Sustainable Development, Bengaluru (since 2014)
- Life Member, ISEC, Bengaluru
- Visited U.S. under the International Visitors Programme (1994) and the U.K under the Faculty Exchange Programme (1996)
- As a member of a number of Expert bodies, concerning Environmental Law and Governance, he has been involved in aiding, advising and assisting the State and Central Governments; contributed to the Environmental law-making process by engaging in a number of legislative drafting exercises, that include Water management, Biodiversity, etc.
- He advised the Govt. of India and assisted in its preparations for the Paris Agreement on Climate Change (2014-15).
- His contributions have been utilized by UNDP,UNEP,ADB, World Bank, IUCN, Voluntary Groups and a few academic & Research Institutions (both in India and abroad), in carrying out research activities and training programmes concerning Environmental Law, Waste Management Law, Biodiversity Law, Human Rights Law, Public Service Lawyering and Legal Education.
- Developed A Manual on Hazardous Wastes Management Law in India, for Environmental Law Institute, Washington, D.C