Call for Applications | Lawyer | Centre of Excellence Project, Centre for Women and the Law (CWL)
March 31, 2023
NLSIU invites applications for one (1) position in its ‘Centre of Excellence Project’ under the Centre for Women and the Law (CWL). This is a contractual assignment (12 months), based out of Bangalore.
This position is conceived under the MOU between National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore and NIMHANS, Bangalore with support from the Department of Women and Child Development (DWCD), Government of Karnataka (GoK).
About the Project
Violence against Women has been a concern for policy makers as well as implementing agencies. While there are laws, the multitude of legal provisions and mechanisms as well as fast changing directives from courts and government make it difficult for those who are the first point of contact for Women and those responsible for implementing the legislation at the ground level. Although general trainings and orientations are conducted, there needs to be targeted training specifically designed for each party and context setting, in order to see more effective results on the ground. In a nutshell, there needs to be research backed training.
The project requires working in close collaboration with NIMHANS, Bangalore and the DWCD, GoK. The project aims to conduct research and drive training initiatives, that would translate into a policy which would in turn help drive innovative programs for Women in Karnataka. The vision of these initiatives is to improve several development indicators related to gender.
Objectives of the project
The primary objectives of the project include having to:
- Improve service delivery in cases of Women’s Rights, especially Violence against Women
- Study detailed roles, challenges faced and ground realities of each identified functionary
- Prepare targeted training materials which will address specifically these roles, challenges and realities
- Equip service providers with necessary legal and allied tools and techniques
- Conduct a study to identify progress made, highlight positive case studies and gaps to be addressed in subsequent phases/years
- Draft a Policy
- Assist the Centre Coordinator and other team members in conducting literature reviews, curating relevant cases and materials, researching on contemporary themes and writing blog notes, academic papers and research reports add modules and training materials
- Conducting field and desk research on identified issues
- Preparing for, organising and conducting training programmes, workshops and conferences
- Preparing progress reports and or managing other reporting needs
- Handling administrative responsibilities under the project
- Drafting of legal opinions, review of draft national/state policies
- Framing proposals for funding, research and writing, training and other assignments
- Attending meetings with stakeholders and partners
- Providing legal advice/assistance and support to Girls and Women as well as government functionaries under the project in person, online and via telephone
- Other Centre related activities and tasks
This is a full-time role, will be based out of the NLSIU campus, involving field and desk research as well as service delivery. This role will report to the Centre Coordinator.
Who should apply
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognised University
- Should be enrolled in the Bar Council of India (BCI) and be eligible to practice in a court of law
- Demonstrated proficiency in speaking, reading and writing Kannada and English fluently
- At least five (05) years of experience practicing as an advocate in family court/trial court, in the areas of Family Law and Women’s Rights, preferably Violence against Women
- Analytical and Research skills, collation skills, communication skills (written and oral), time-management skills
- Ability to meticulously use different legal research databases
- In addition, the candidate must have:
– Ability to work in a team, contributing to both team and individual goals
– Demonstrated proficiency in the use of G-Suite, MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
– Good communication, organising and time management skills
– Self-driven, collaborative as well as the ability to work independently, attention to detail, data-driven
- In addition, the candidate must have:
How to apply
Using Google Form on NLSIU site, with:
- Updated CV
- Statement of Purpose (up to 500 words)
- A sole authored writing sample
- Two referees with contact details
For more details, please read the official notification here.
To apply, click here
The last date for submission of applications is 24 April 2023.