5-Year B.A., LL.B. (Hons.)
B.Sc. (Criminology & Forensic Science) – 1993, Karnatak University
BA LLB – 1996, Karnatak University
LLM (Mercantile Law) – 1998, Karnatak University
Ph.D. – 2006, Karnatak University
Diploma in Computer Application
Prof. Ashok Patil joined NLSIU in August 2008. At NLSIU, he is Chair Professor of Consumer Law and Practice (Ministry of Consumer Affairs, GoI) and Founder Director of the Online Consumer Mediation Center (Ministy of Consumer Affairs, GoI). His academic and research interests include consumer services, online mediation, insurance law, international law, corporate law, food laws, ISO and ISI standards, regulatory authorities, e-learning and clinical legal education. He holds an NCC “C” Certificate and NSS Certificate, and is an accredited mediator. He is a member of several boards and institutions such as The International Association of Consumer Law (IACL), Consumer International, (CI) London, UK, and International Academy of Financial Consumers (IAFICO), Seoul among others. Besides his academic and research contributions, he has played a key role at the University in various capacities (listed below in the page).
Awards and Fellowships: He has received the University Grants Commission’s FIP Fellowship (2005), the Asian Law Institute’s Fellowship (2010), the “Legal Education Innovation Award-2013” by Society of Indian Law Firms, and the Menon Institute for Legal Advocacy and Training (MILAT) by Prof. Madhava Menon. He also received the ‘International Mac Jannet Award’ in 2014 at Cape Town, South Africa as a Faculty Coordinator for the Legal Service Clinic.
Key Research Projects:
- Successfully completed Online Consumer Mediation Centre (OCMC) a pilot project of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Government of India 2017-19.
- Successfully completed Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) project on “Effective Implementation of Online Consumer Dispute Resolution through Mediation” sponsored by Ministry of Law & Justice, Government of India, New Delhi 2018-19.
- Successfully completed project on “A Specific Review of the Karnataka Essential Commodities (Public Distribution System)Control Order, 1992” project sponsored by Department of Food & Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs, Government of Karnataka, Bengaluru.
- Successfully completed project on “Unfair Trade Practices: Challenges & the Way Forward” sponsored by Gesellschaftfür Internationale Zusammenarbeit, GIZ, Germany.
- Successfully completed project on “Analysis of Legislations and Regulations Relating to Consumer lfare and Protection, Standards, Product Liability and Labelling For South Asian and South East Asian Nations, Focusing on Electronic and Electrical Goods Related Industries” sponsored International recognized Standard Body –‘Underwriters Laboratories’, Singapore-2010.
- Chief Editor of ‘International Journal on Consumer Law and Practice’ (IJCLP), Annual Journal.
- Chief Editor of ‘March of Consumer Law and Practice’ Bi-Annual magazine, since 2008, published by CLP Chair, NLSIU and Ministry of Consumer Affairs, GOI.
- Referee for the European Journal of Law and Management (EJLM), Surrey KT20 6UA, United Kingdom.
- Editorial Board Member, International Academy of Financial Consumers (IAFICO), Japan.
- Editorial Board Member, International Review of Financial Consumers (IRFC), Japan.
- Co-Editor/Reviewers-in-Charge of The Global Science and Technology Forum (GSTF) International Journal of Law and Social Sciences
He has published over six books, and several articles including at least 8 articles in international journals and over 40 articles in national journals. He has also been involved in organising over 40 training programs/workshops for NGOs, consumer forum members, Government & private lawyers, consumer club teachers, and others.
He has presented research papers in over 15 countries, including around 30 International and 60 national level conferences/seminars. View list of the papers he has presented here.
Member of Inter-ministerial Monitoring Committee on Issue of Misleading Advertisements and Review Committee on Consumer Protection Amendment Bill, 2015.
Member of Drafting Committee on Consumer protection Bill, 2019, Rules & Regulations under Consumer Protection Act, 2019
Member of Drafting Committee on Consumer protection Bill, 2015 & 2018.
Member, Working Group on Consumer Advocacy of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi.
Member to the ‘Central Consumer Protection Council’ by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Government of India since 2015.
Member of ‘Consortium For Tobacco Free Karnataka’ (CFTFK), Government of Karnataka, Bengaluru.
Member of National Assessment Accreditation Council (NAAC) Peer Team.
Member of Human Ethics Committee of National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, (NIMHANS).
Board Member, The International Association of Consumer Law (IACL).
Member, Consumer International, (CI) London, United Kingdom
Life–time Member, International Academy of Financial Consumers (IAFICO), Seoul.
Honorary Member to Federation of Indian Direct Selling Industries (Direct Selling Association), New Delhi -2020.
Senior Advisory Board Member of Consumer Assisto, A Knowledge Steez Initiative -2020.
Empanelled Mediator for Indian Institute of Arbitration & Mediation,(IIAM) -2020.
Member, Advisory Board, Indian Journal of Socio-Legal & Contemporary Affairs (IJOSLCA) peer-reviewed law journal- 2020.
Member, Global Member Connect Call on Financial Services, Consumers International- 2020.
Nominated as University Representative for recruitment process from Karnataka State Law University, Navanagar, Hubballi for the year 2020.
Life Member of Indian Law Institute (ILI), New Delhi, since 2013.
Life Fellow Member to Indian Social Science Academy (ISSA), Allahabad
Member of Juridical Science Research Committee of Indian Social Science Academy (ISSA) 43rd Indian Social Science Conference at Bangalore.
He was a Dean & Chairman of PG Department of Law, Kuvempu University, Shimoga (2017-2019).
Chief Warden at the Halls of Residence (2012-13)
Faculty Advisor for Sports (2009-2012)
Chairperson of the Under Graduate Council (2016-2018) and Faculty Advisor for Legal Services Clinic (2012-2015 & 2018).
Faculty Co-ordinator for Distance Education Department (2013-14) & Centre of Child and Law (2014 -2015)
He is a Chairman, Member of BOS/Member of Doctoral Committee of many Universities and Law Colleges in India.
Chairman for Library Committee, NLSIU, Bengaluru
Convenor for Health Infrastructure and other General Matters Committee, NLSIU, Bengaluru
Coordinator for Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), NLSIU, Bangalore and for National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) of MHRD at NLSIU.
Member, IT Committee, NLSIU, Bengaluru
Member of Academic Council, Executive Council & General Council, NLSIU, Bengaluru.