The Cultural and Fine Arts Committee, popularly known as ‘Culcomm’ is one of the activity-based committees at NLSIU, Bangalore. Unlike most of the other committees, Culcomm attempts to cater to the non-academic interests of the students in law school. It endeavours to facilitate the cultural and creative streaks of the student body by organising a bunch of energy ridden and absolutely fun intra/inter-collegiate events. The committee aims at providing platforms to students where they can exhibit their talents by participating in events such as Art Mela (which includes painting, sketching, Mehendi, Clay modelling, Face n Toe painting), Playfest , MadAdz, Movie Spoofs, Western Music and Dance, Eastern Music and Dance.
- At the commencement of each academic year, Culcomm welcomes incoming students with a week long celebration in July called Freshers’ Week. Freshers’ Week culminates with an epic Freshers’ Night and is arguably the most memorable event for incoming students.
- In the first trimester, the committee in collaboration with other cultural and arts organisations such as the SPIC Macay hosts multiple day-time events for the students and faculty. In 2019, Culcomm had the honor of hosting ace Odissi dancer Ms. Sujata Mohapatra as well as Sattriya performer, Dr. Vidushi Meeranada Barthakur.
- In an effort to keep the festive environment alive in the University, the committee organises Dandiya night in November. For those who aren’t able to spend such festivities with their families, this is a chance to do so with their family-away-from-home. Christmas is also a time of merriment – In 2019, Culcomm organized NLSIU Santa stops in classrooms to spread joy, cheer and gifts among students and staff.
- The Cultural and Fine Arts Committee also hosts its very own one-of-a-kind annual theatre festival ‘Admit One’. In an attempt to reinvent Admit One, this year’s committee introduced a new category called emerging theatre apart from the Conventional Format. This new format allowed some of the best amateur theatre groups across the country to showcase their talents and captivate the audience and judges.
- Culcomm plays a major role in the organisation of `LeGala’- Law School’s intercollegiate Literary and Cultural fest. The fest sees participation from colleges across the country in all events including choreography, theatre, music and fine arts.
- In the final week of the academic year, the committee organizes Univ Week – touted as the best law school event. Each batch is given a chance to show off its varied and creative talents in order to win the prestigious “Cul-Shield”. The week also allows students to spent a night reliving all their high school dreams at night, also referred to as the ‘Annual NLS Ball.’
Plans for AY 2020-21
Since we are struck by the pandemic this year and many events are being organised on virtual platforms, we at Culcomm have also adapted to the same. We plan on having online music nights, open mic, art-contests, slam poetry and other events online. We also wish to carry forward the legacy of making the University a familiar space for the incoming students by conducting events online for them. As and when the University reopens, we hope to conduct other events with much more vigour than ever.
This year, we plan to capitalise upon the online fora and have a bigger theatre fest and widen it horizons by increasing participation and its reach. Majorly, the year will revolve around getting more creative and introducing some fun elements for the students while being safe at home. Follow Culcomm’s social media pages for updates on upcoming events.
Since the committee mainly focuses on organizing cultural events, it requires students who have an interest in cultural activities. Students should be able to provide creative inputs to the committee and its work. Having technical skills like poster making or brochure making is much appreciated. Culcomm is headed by two convenors. The committee consists of members, senior and junior co-opts. The position of junior co-opts is only open to the incoming freshmen. Culcomm calls for applications at the beginning of each academic year and the selection is based on the points collected by the applications and the personal interview. For more information about the application process, write to us at .
Committee heads and members for 2020-21:
- Mansi Gupta (III) (Convenor)
- Anmol Ratan (III) (Joint-Convenor)
- Gunjan Shrivastav (III)
- Jay Bhaskar Sharma (III)
- Dhruv Jain (II)
- Kashish Gupta (II)
- Kriti Jain (II)
- Muskan Agarwal (II)
- Priya Chaudhary (II)
- Anurag Tirpude II)
- Pallavi Agarwal (II)
- Yash Kawadia (II)