All students enrolled in the full-time academic programmes at the NLSIU are members of the Student Bar Association (SBA). The SBA has earned a formidable reputation for its wide range of events and activities – be it mooting, legal services, literary and cultural competitions or academic publications.
It is a matter of great pride for all of us at the Law School that the student body enjoys substantial autonomy and is in fact encouraged by the faculty to engage in a wide range of curricular and co-curricular activities as well as hostel administration.
The SBA adopted a Constitution of its own in 2000, which regulates its structure and functioning. The SBA Constitution provides for the yearly formation of 12 Activity Based Committees (ABCs), each having a specific focus. The individual members of each ABC are chosen on the basis of merit in the respective area. Each ABC is headed by a student Convener elected by the particular committee’s members, and its functioning is supervised by a faculty advisor. The University funds the intra-institutional activities of the various ABCs, while individual committees raise external sponsorships for their respective inter-institutional events and activities. Furthermore, every class elects two student representatives who together form the Class Council. This body liaises with the faculty on academic issues.
In 2021-22, the SBA Constitution was substantially revised, and all previous amendments were directly incorporated within the body of the text. Read the ‘SBA Constitution and Guidelines 2022.’
- Academic Support Program (ASP)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Board
- Campus Development & Management Committee (CDMC)
- Council For International Relations And International Law (CIRIL)
- Cultural and Fine Arts Committee (Cul Comm)
- Entrepreneur Cell (E-Cell)
- Event Management Committee(EMC)
- Finance Committee
- Law & Society Committee (‘Law Soc’)
- Law & Technology Society (L-Tech)
- Legal Services Clinic (LSC)
- Literary and Debating Society (LnD)
- Moot Court Society (MCS)
- Society for Non-Human Persons
- Sports Committee
- Student Advocate Committee (Stud Ad)
- Student Initiative for Promotion of Legal Awareness (SIPLA)
- Disability Support Group (DSG)
- NLS Feminist Alliance (NLSFA)
- NLS Queer Alliance (NLSQA)
- Recruitment Co-ordination Committee
- Savitri Phule Ambedkar Caravan (SPAC)
The working of the ABCs is coordinated by two elected representatives, namely the President and the Vice-President. Students are also involved in the administration of the hostels through three committees appointed by the Warden – namely the General Welfare Committee (GWC), Mess Committee and Disciplinary Committees.
We publish three student edited journals i.e. the Student Bar Review (SBR), the Indian Journal of Law and Technology (IJLT) and the Socio-Legal Review (SLR). LeGala is our annual inter-collegiate literary and cultural festival which runs concurrently with Strawberry Fields , which is India ‘s largest student-organised rock show. In recent years, Spiritus , our inter-law college sports festival, as well as the NLS Debate , which is South Asia ‘s largest parliamentary style debating tournament, have attracted both voluminous participation as well as media attention.