The University has established principles and procedures to combat Sexual Harassment, referred to as the ‘Code to Combat Sexual Harassment.’ In compliance with the requirements of the Supreme Court of India and the University Grants Commission, Sexual Harassment on Campus is condemned and will be suitably punished as laid down in the Code to Combat Sexual Harassment adopted by the University in September, 2002. Read the Code to Combat Sexual Harassment.
What constitutes as Sexual Harassment?
Under the Code, Sexual Harassment is defined as ‘Unwelcome Sexual Conduct’ which includes:
- Any unwelcome sexual advances,
- Unwelcome acts of physical intimacy,
- Unwelcome requests for sexual favours including oral, textual, graphic representations of a sexual nature to a person, in the person’s presence or about the person.
To facilitate inquiry and address the grievances arising from the violation of this Code, the Vice Chancellor has constituted the Sexual Harassment Inquiry Committee (SHARIC) to deal with such matters. In accordance with Section 8 of the Code to Combat Sexual Harassment, the Sexual Harassment Inquiry Committee is reconstituted with the following members.
Under the Code to Combat Sexual Harassment 2019, and POSH Act, 2013, the Sexual Harassment and Inquiry Committee has been reconstituted as below:
- Dr. Nagarathna A., Associate Professor
- Prof. Jasmine Joseph, Assistant Professor of Law
- Ms. Anjali Varma, HR Consultant
- Ms. Shruti Vidyasagar, Advocate
Prof. Smitha Krishnaprasad, Assistant Professor of Law is the Sexual Harassment Policy Advisor (SHPA).
The following students were appointed as Student Facilitators for the year 2019- 2020 under the Sexual Harassment (Prevention) Code of NLSIU.
- Spoorthi Cotha
- Mansvini Jain
- Shubham Jain